domingo, abril 02, 2006

Chris Daughtry

One of the targets in this blog, or, at least, that’s what I’ve been thinking of doing it’s to create a multilingual blog, as long as I can. So, this is my first entry in English. Why am I doing this? Well, it’s a way to practice my English but, as well it’s a way to communicate with other people who don’t speak Spanish and, since, English is the widest spoken language in the world, well, what better than trying this, right?

I will try, JUST TRY, to do the same, at least once a week in French. Hopefully I will do it better in English than in French, since I’m just learning it now. Anyway, comments, corrections and critics are always welcomed.

Well, the reason for this first entry it’s American Idol… Yes, kind of embarrassing to confess that since I’ve been so critical about realities, but… what can I do? I started watching this American Idol 5th season because I found funny the way so many people perform before three judges and, they tear them apart. How could these people allow that? But they do. But it turned out that I kept stick to the show every time a new good vocalist showed up. And in fact I felt happy for each one of them who reaches the top 20 or so.

Even when I like it, I wasn’t a fan, just to be clear, ok? Until I heard this guy… I watched the show once in a blue moon, meaning, every time I was just scanning what was on TV. And, suddenly, last week I watched Chris Daughtry’s performance of “I walk the line”. And I loved it. Him, too. His voice. His body language. The look in his eyes. I feel like a teenager talking like this. I could download that song (audio and video) just on Friday and since then I’ve been listening to it over and over again. I remember being watching his “Wanted Dead Or Alive” performance and thinking, “oh, yes, this guy is good”, but that was all.

I love rock, hard rock specially. When I was teenager, I used to listen at groups like Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Anthrax, Sepultura and, more recently, Rammestein; and among Colombians groups, Masacre, La Pestilencia, etc. But time passes by and I started to listen to other kind of music, “American” music changed too, and became more electronic and pop, and lately it sounds like music for doctor’s office, which I don’t really like, of course. Anyway, hard rock remained one of my favorites, although I thought it wasn’t going to appeal anyone under 30 anymore. Well, I hope I was wrong, because it sounds so powerful in Chris Daughtry’s voice!

But I haven’t listening to “I walk the line” only. I downloaded all Daughtry’s performances, both audio and video from http://www.mrdaughtry.com/, reading about him in http://www.idolonfox.com/ and every site that says anything on him. Yes, like a teenager. It’s embarrassing, really, embarrassing. Well, at least I know I’m not the only one who has Daughtry fever (check American Idol’s message boards). I don’t know what is going to happen with him in American Idol, but I hope I can listen to him many more times.

My favorites performances are, of course, “I Walk the Line” and “What If”. I’m listening at them now and I can’t help smiling and feeling excited because of his voice. And watching him it’s even better. I only hope he is not a republican.